Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Growing up

        A bunch of little refugee hearts awaited us that day. We added ‪colorful patterns to their daily school out growing days - Saturday, February 28th, Jusoor - Syrians Forward Together (جسور سوريا) 
       Photo credits : Hanane Tabet

-
       Child :" I want to draw too, just like you"
-       Me :" but you can’t draw on the walls"
-       Child :"I don't have to draw on the wall, just give me a paper and I’ll draw..
Here, next you.. Just like you."

Then she stands staring to the wall, I dive through her eyes and into her mind, putting myself in her place and think:

In fact, we grew up during war, but that didn’t stop us to dream. We can be whatever we want to be. We will conquer ignorance, we will conquer helplessness, and we will conquer captivity.
In one corner I stand dreaming of growing up, getting an education, and graduating.
In another corner, I stand wondering, within my own imagination, through the seas.
Then I move along the wall to dream of being that innocent little girl, dressed in pink, smiling and waving.
I can be free.
I can be happy.
I look again to that same wall and I dream of being a superhero. A superhero stopping war.

I want to become like superman, I want to save my country, and i want to help. And when I do... I will go back in my memory to the day I was helpless.. When a drawing on the wall made me believe that one day I can. 

Written by Layane Rakka
Leafer since Summer 2014














No comments:

Post a Comment